Monday, May 28, 2012

Don't Give Up

Today in Sacrament my father spoke about prayer and gaining a relationship with our Savior Jesus Christ. He started off talking about men from the New Testament, the rich young ruler & Peter, & spoke about how Peter had let the commandments help him know the Savior while the rich young ruler just obeyed the commandments.

And then he starts talking about Peter Anderson & I am transported. I am no longer in a chapel in California. I am walking home from the shopping center for lunch; my companion, Sister Oswald, is following close behind on the narrow  footpath. We are laughing like we always do. A man turns the corner; startling me a little.
"Can we give you a card sir?" Is the question that pops out of my mouth.
"Sure" comes the reply "What is it?"
"We are sharing how there is a prophet on earth today. Would that be important to you?" My approach is not very special. But the man, Peter Anderson accepts an appointment.

Sister Oswald & I 

I am in our tiny room. Laying on my bed trying to get rid of the headache that's been driving me crazy all week. Our joint teach Sister Green dropped us to go see Peter & I am frustrated. We've only gotten to see Peter once. Canceling on him could prove disastrous. So Sister Oswald makes the call as I listen carefully.  
"You've read all of 1st &2nd Nephi?!" Sister Oswald questions in awe. I sit bolt upright & lean closer.
"Wow that's amazing" is Sister Oswald's response. "Have you prayed about it?" I hold my breath during the pause. "Well I invite you to pray about what you have read Peter. I promise that the Lord will answer your prayers." And the conversation is ended.

And finally I land in a tiny apartment, sitting on a couch that threatens to eat if I sit back any further on it. I am listening is awe as Peter tells us his story. He read the Book of Mormon until 2 in the morning last night. He came to the conclusion that this book couldn't have been written by a 24 year old, uneducated, guy in upstate New York. So he did what he hadn't done in years. He got down on his knees & prayed. He asked Heavenly Father to forgive him us his sins & to let him know if the Book of Mormon was true.

Peter Anderson was baptized 3 weeks later. I was not there to see it. I was transferred; but Peter Anderson was our miracle.  Every missionary's dream. But for me he was more then that. Peter taught me about my Heavenly Father's love for His children. There is a quote; I don't know who said it "Heavenly Father will come as close as we are willing to let Him come." Peter Anderson spent YEARS running from our Heavenly Father. But not once, for one half of a second did Heavenly Father EVER give up on him.

And if we let Him, our LOVING Heavenly Father will be with us. Always.

<3 Becca Fisher


No comments:

Post a Comment